Today, graciously escorted by my neighbors Mike and Karen, I made my first grocery shopping trip. The mission was clear – go to as many stores as possible to get the absolute best deal, even if it’s only by a few cents. Today we conquered 3 stores; Kmart (yes, Kmart. and there are TWO on the island), Plaza Extra, and Cost U Less.
I discovered that PX has better produce, Cost U Less is basically Costco, Kmart should be used as a last resort, and all places sell handles of rum for $9.99 (i’m sensing a theme…).
Other lessons learned:
- don’t buy St. Thomas Dairies milk (reconstituted, ew)
- Orange juice is ridiculously expensive (Florida is far away?)
- people LOVE to double and triple bag, even for one item (just like Harlem!)
- you must make small talk with employees if addressed. Or prepare to be ostracized and hated.
- DO NOT throw away your receipt before exiting, unless you want forever roam the aisles of Kmart (or PX, or C.U.L…)
I promise not to bullet in every post
My first battle ended victoriously; I saved 20 cents by buying baby carrots at Plaza Extra, and even though I spent more on EVOO (I will not write out what this stands for) at Cost U Less, I saved because I bought in bulk.
Shoot, I forgot the toilet paper…
Because I can’t justify a post with only one picture, here’s a snapshot of a tiny pineapple from my yard, proving that good things in small packages do grow on trees.